Location: Beijing, China
Describe your style in one word: Dreamy
1. What does a typical day in your life look like?
My life is amazing. I usually read and have tea in the morning. Reading always inspires me. In the afternoon, I’m sketching or painting, which is challenging, interesting and comforting. At the same time, I consider it as quality time. I will then take a break, to cook or go for a walk. After the break, I will paint till midnight.
2. What does your studio look like?
My studio is my home. There are 3 parts – a desk for small size paintings, a wall for large size, and computer for 3D work or used to edit pictures.
3. Tell us one unique thing about you / your art
My art is all from imagination, and you’ll notice that some are surreal. I use traditional Chinese techniques. My art is tradition and surrealism combined.
4. What do you love most about being an artist?
I cannot imagine doing anything else. I can view the imagined world of my mind, which is more genuine than the real world. I just somehow feel really alive when I work on my pictures.
5. Which is your favourite artpiece so far and what is the story behind it?
It's a difficult question. They are all my favorites. “Faramita” is my most favorite piece, a piece whose inspiration was drawn from Saint Saens' music "The Dying Swan." I also love “You and Me,” a piece that took me the longest time to produce. “You and Me” is not about two people, rather it's about the inside and outside of one person.
6. What are 3 things you can’t live without in a day?
Tea (or coffee), drawing, and Momo, my cat.
7. Where do you get inspiration when you need it most?
Reading always inspires me. When I get into a creative slump, I will try to do something else. I try to just keep going in my mind, but don’t force it. Sometimes I may go for a walk, or take a trip on the bus.
8. What does success look like to you?
Having a great career and a loving family.
For more of Alice, visit her profile page.